Thursday, December 30, 2010

Prozac Peanut Butter Balls

I have four dogs and they are an absolute mess.  I understand that this is my fault and I really need to approach this like the manager I used to be…but alas chaos reigns.  Part of this chaos is due to the fact that all of our dogs were “rescued.”  One in particular has asserted herself as the CEO of our household.  She is ruthless, cut-throat and utterly unstable.  She is part Chihuahua and part Pug…the combination left her with an amazingly ugly and yet endearingly adorable face.  It is for this reason and my love of The Color Purple that we named her Celie. 


Another of our dogs is Saphie.  She is a terrier and I should mention the Valedictorian of her obedience class.  She is the worrier of our group.  She displays panic at the most ordinary of things.  She too is completely unstable.  One of my friends said she looked like a baked potato with toothpicks for legs.  I love her.  She is my angel. 

The reason why I am introducing you to two of our dogs is because being off work has trapped us in the same house for hours and hours and days and days.  We are annoying each other.  But we are finding our way.  We are finding our routine. Years and years of work forced me into creating routines and schedules.  Routines like making the coffee, attending meetings, checking email, avoiding annoying people, etc.  Losing your job makes you feel like a boat without a rudder.  It is the loss of money of course, but also the loss of your routine.  If you don’t get control of it and figure your way you might end up eating grass, yelling at cars and actually listening to the voices in your head.  You must create certain days for cleaning the toilets, days for the laundry, time for the floors and so on and so forth.  Every morning now we have pill dispensing time for Celie and Saphie.  Celie is on Prozac and Saphie is taking Glucosamine & Chondroitin.  It was like the meds scene from One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest and it was a painful way to start each morning...that is until we added peanut butter. Now each morning is spent crushing up pills and making tasty medicated peanut butter balls.  It is great fun and the other two dogs get a taste, too minus the pills of course.  I equate it to a team building meeting!  Progress and a hated task on one hand and good times and fun on the other…pills and peanut butter!  We are like those crazy folks in the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Car singing and slinging peanut butter!
Not much additional news on the job in Shreveport.  I did send my almost boss an email telling her that I was certainly excited about the move and the job, but now I’m more than a little worried.  I know I don’t want to be the one who shows up for a new job while others are forced to leave and I also don’t want us to move only to get laid off again myself.  At some level, I think I actually just got laid off from a job I hadn’t even started yet.  Well again tomorrow is another day.  And you know the old saying another day another Prozac.

No comments:

Post a Comment