Saturday, February 5, 2011

Honey Garlic Drumsticks, Parmesan Garlic Potatoes, Baked Asparagus,Black Swans and Winos

Let me just start by saying I found this video last night and can’t stop laughing about it.

We went to see Black Swan yesterday afternoon.  I didn’t realize it was a horror movie.  Dang I won’t even be clipping my fingernails for awhile much less biting or scratching at them.  Nor will I quintuple pirouettes en pointe accented by twenty-eight fouettes en tournant while cleaning the living room again.  I hate to stop because the dogs love it, but clearly it is just too dangerous. I don’t want to rip my toenail off or break both of my legs backwards.  I have too much to do to risk that kind of caution-be-damned-attitude.  My carefree ode to Russian ballet ends today.

I have to tell you about dinner last night.  I made a spectacular meal complete with movie for the two of us for about $24.  I made honey garlic chicken drumsticks, baked asparagus, parmesan and garlic potatoes and apple pie (recipes below).  And aside from the chicken and the wine (does anyone ever not drink the entire bottle of wine once you open it?) there are enough things left over for me to make another meal as long as we buy another bottle of wine. Here is the price breakdown (I added a little bit to account for the seasoning supplies that I already had in the pantry or fridge).
Chicken = $3
Asparagus = $4
Potatoes = $2
Small dutch apple pie on sale at Publix = $3.50
Pinot Noir also on sale = $12
Free movie (The Kids are All Right) from Blockbuster Box (when you sign up you get a free rental)

This is only important to share because as an unexpected housewife I feel like I have to do my part to save money and keep my sugar mama happy with a clean house and good food.  Clearly, we could save half of what we spent by not drinking wine...but let's not get crazy now.  
Honey Garlic Chicken Drumsticks (from www.bigoven.com)
Ingredients
4 to 6 chicken legs, skinless
¾ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoon cornstarch
¾ cup of water
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 cloves of garlic finely minced

Preparation
Place skinless chicken legs in roasting pan and bake covered for 60 minutes at 375 degrees.  Drain all juices.  While legs are cooking make the sauce.

Combine sugar with cornstarch.

Add water, honey, soy sauce and minced garlic in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil stirring constantly.  Add sugar and cornstarch mixture.  Bring to boil again stirring constantly.  When chicken legs are cooked place in a heat proof casserole dish.  Pour sauce over and serve immediately or keep warm in a low oven.

Parmesan and Garlic Potatoes (from www.food.com)
2 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup melted butter
1 ½ unpeeled baby red potatoes
1/3 cup breadcrumb
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
½ teaspoon paprika

Preparation
Mince garlic and  combine with melted butter in a large mixing bowl
Add potatoes and toss well to coat
Mix remaining ingredients and add to potato mixture and toss well
Turn potatoes out into greased cookie sheet
Bake at 375 for 1 hour or until cooked through, turning 2 to 3 times while baking

Baked Asparagus  (from me)
Ingredients
1 bunch of asparagus washed
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

Preparation
Make a “pan” out of foil.  Snap ends off washed asparagus.  Place in foil pan, drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.  Cook at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes.

Ingredients


4 comments:

  1. Uhm, Black Swan = incredibly disturbing. End of story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes it was...and I have absolutely no idea what actually happened in that movie. I will never look at Padme Amidala the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG... I made this tonight for Josh and I... YUM! Thank you so much for sharing. It is definitely going in the recipe folder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Kara! I'm so glad you liked the recipes. Tiffany told me I had to make that meal again soon.

    ReplyDelete