Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Remembering Elizabeth Taylor

There really is no other way to spend the day than watching Elizabeth Taylor movies.  Of course, any Elizabeth Taylor movie day needs to start with National Velvet.  Naturally, this will rekindle my dream of having my very own horse and Mickey Rooney action figure.  Then I will change direction completely and watch, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.  I seriously doubt that Elizabeth Taylor ever looked hotter than she did in that movie.  I will never forget being a young kid and watching that movie for the first time…I actually slowed down my crushes on Kristy McNichol and Joe from the Facts of Life, long enough to have a respectable crush on Elizabeth Taylor.


Now comes the cocktail making part of the day.  If you don’t have cocktails mixed for the next two movies, there is something very wrong with you.   It really is depressing that Cleopatra was not made at a time that could include a reality show along with it.  Anything that nearly bankrupts a movie studio, and is a historical drama that has nothing to do with the actual history of the event, is worth watching…at least once.  The strongest cocktail (by this time, I will be completely covered in White Diamonds perfume, toasting Elizabeth Taylor to the dogs and calling Tiffany at work to cry about her death), is reserved for Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf.  In fact, I won’t even have a cocktail; I will just drink scotch straight from the bottle.  If you haven’t seen this movie, it is well worth watching.  It is like seeing a train wreck, or a complete family breakdown and argument over Thanksgiving dinner.  This is Elizabeth Taylor at her best as an actress. 


And that’s how I will spend my day, because that is the best way to remember Elizabeth Taylor.  But before I start the movie marathon, I’m going to honor her by contributing to what is actually her best work and her finest legacy, The Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment