Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Chilean Butternut Squash Casserole, I Found A Chilean Miner While Organizing the Basement

After spending entirely too much time watching Alpaca videos on You Tube, I decided to organize our holiday decorations.  We keep all the holiday stuff in the basement.  By the way, typing holiday twice inspired me to get up and sing Madonna’s Holiday.  Naturally, I included the dance moves from the video with my singing.  The dogs seemed impressed. 


Madonna moment over…I’m back now.  As I started on the decorations in the basement, I heard some weird rustling.  I figured it was nothing and pulled out a wreath that had become entangled in a skeleton with a jack-o-lantern head.  As I continued working I heard the sound again.  This time I stared at the decorations hoping to catch a glimpse of what was causing the rustling.  It was then that I noticed the Chilean miner.  You can imagine my surprise!  There’s just no holiday that I can put a Chilean miner out on display in the yard.  He’s cute, but I can’t keep him.  Please let me know if you are aware of a hotline or something I can call to come pick him up.  He’s hiding again, but I know he’s still there.  I’ll put out some water and empanadas and see if I can’t live trap him.  Poor thing.

Chilean Butternut Squash Casserole (www.food.com) 
Ingredients
1 large butternut squash
1 cup chopped onion
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1-2 dash cayenne pepper
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese

Preparation
Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.  Bake cut sides down at 425 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until very soft at thick end.  Let squash cool and scrape out of the shell; mash as smoothly as you can.  Meanwhile, sauté onion, garlic and spices in olive oil until onion is translucent.  Add peppers and salt, stir, cover and leave on low heat for 5 minutes.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Stir beaten eggs into mashed squash.  Add corn, sauted veggies and grated cheddar; stir to mix well.  Bake 20 minutes covered; uncover and bake another 20-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment