Sunday, August 21, 2011

Creamy Chicken and Potatoes - Taking Care of My To-Do List


It is a nice feeling to check things off the to-do list you made last night.  So far today, I’ve made breakfast, gone to the gym, done two loads of laundry, put dinner in the crock-pot, mowed the yard, cleaned the bird cages, gave all the dogs a bath and put the pool up.  I still have some cleaning to do and some lesson planning for work, but mostly my list is complete.  I’d high five myself if it weren’t such a gay thing to do.  I decided instead to check things off my list with a bright red Sharpie.  I like Sharpies.  It seems so permanent and real when you mark things off with a Sharpie…especially on your enemies clothing.  I’m not ashamed to line my various colors of Sharpies in a row from brightest to darkest and touch them a little too much.  I’m proud of them.  In fact, I just may add “buy more Sharpies” to my list.  There, I just did. I bet I have more Sharpies than you. 

The dinner, I put together in the crock-pot, smells really good (BTW when I text my phone changes crock-pot to cock-pot…which is odd and sometimes embarrassing).  Here’s what we are having for dinner.
Creamy Chicken and Potatoes (from Fast Weeknight Favorites for Good Housekeeping)

Ingredients
2 cups peeled baby carrots
1 pound red potatoes, not peeled, cut into quarters
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed with garlic press
1 chicken cut into 8 pieces and skin removed from all but the wings
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons cornstarch
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
½ cup heavy or whipping cream


Preparation 
In 5 to 6 quart crock-pot, combine carrots, potatoes, onion and garlic.  Arrange chicken pieces on top of vegetables.  In 2 cup liquid measuring cup, with fork, mix chicken broth, cornstarch, thyme, salt and pepper; pour mixture over chicken and vegetables.  Cover slow cooker with lid and cook for 8 hours on low.  With slotted spoon, transfer chicken and vegetables to deep platter.  Cover loosely with foil to keep warm.  Stir in peas and cream into cooking liquid; heat through.  To serve, spoon sauce over chicken and vegetables.  (only has about 380 calories per serving…so you can have pie with this!)

2 comments:

  1. I want that many Sharpies!! There are many things I love about this particular blog post... I'm totally gonna make this recipe! Sounds awesome! But what I like the most is that your phone changes crock-pot to cock-pot. My phone is obviously a lot more conservative. Which surprises me somewhat.

    ReplyDelete