Saturday, September 3, 2011

Brats in Beer, Cowboy Beans and the Black Bart

Me = meeting her on Sunday

Labor Day means cookouts, start of college football and Dragon*Con.  I’ll spend this afternoon watching football and tomorrow at the mother ship of nerd gatherings, Dragon*Con.  I’m super excited because one thing I am, for sure, is a nerd.  I have a massive Star Wars toy collection plus a tattoo of R2D2 on my leg.  I fly my nerd flag daily.  This year Carrie Fisher will be there.  I plan to meet her and I dream about spending happy hour with her.  I'm such a nerd that I plan to have her sign a carded vintage toy AND a copy of Postcards from the Edge. Trust I will take tons of pictures and share them here tomorrow.  As if all that weren’t enough, I plan to cookout on Monday evening.  This is what is on the menu.  Happy Labor Day and May the Force Be With You.

I will drink Black Barts while I make dinner and along with the meal.  A Black Bart is equal parts stout and cola.
Brats in Beer (http://www.publix.com/aprons/meals/SimpleMeals.do)
Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
4 bratwurst links
2 cups frozen pepper stir-fry (contains sliced green/red/yellow peppers and onions)
1 (8-ounce) bottle light beer
1/2 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning
4 Bakery hoagie rolls

Preparation
Preheat large saucepan on medium-high for 2-3 minutes.  Add butter and swirl to coat. Add bratwurst, cover and cook 5 minutes, turning halfway through cook time.  Add pepper stir-fry, beer and steak seasoning. Stir and cook 10 minutes, or until liquid is mostly absorbed, stirring occasionally.  Slice rolls lengthwise, leaving half inch to hold top and bottom slices together.  Place 1 bratwurst on each bun and divide stir-fry mixture between each serving. Serve.

Cowboy Beans  (http://www.publix.com/aprons/meals/SimpleMeals.do)
Ingredients
1 (15-ounce) can pork and beans
1 (15-ounce) can black beans
1/4 cup hickory-smoke flavored barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoon mustard
2 tablespoons cooked, crumbled bacon

Preparation
Open both cans of beans, draining black beans only.  Place in saucepan: pork and beans, black beans, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, mustard and bacon. Stir and cook on medium 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve.

2 comments:

  1. Did you get any pics of Carrie??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, but they aren't very good. My old phone didn't zoom so well. CURSES!!!

      Delete