Thursday, June 7, 2012

As God Is My Witness...I'll Never Go Hungry Again and Yellow Squash Stuffing


Last year I suffered a lot of grief and stress at the hands/paws/talon-like feet of various woodland creatures in my yard.  They ravaged my strawberries, tomatoes, squash, zucchini and sanity.  The frustration of watching fruits and vegetables nearly reach their pick time and then suddenly being stolen by animals in the dead of night is measurable only by being immeasurable.  The only thing exposing their cowardly crimes were the remnants left after the massacre…remnants that provided a visual to haunt my nightmares.  Finally, utterly broken, at the end of the season, I put on my gardening corset, petticoat and bonnet, I walked to my box gardens and shaking my parasol to the heavens made a vow to stop the insanity and grow some freaking food.  It looked a bit like this…


This season, I have honored that promise.  I made a cage for my tomatoes (click here for instructions) and hired 24 armed guards (armless guards can't shoot) to patrol the area.  The outcome has been amazing.  We are having tomatoes with nearly everything…including on our cereal in the morning.  I’ve also begun to share the fruits of my labor.  That is the great thing about gardeners, we share!  One of my friends bought me lots of squash from her mother’s garden.  It is delicious.  Here is a recipe I suggest you try if you are looking for something different to make with squash.


Yellow Squash Stuffing




Ingredients
2 cups diced yellow squash
2 cups crumbled cornbread (I just used Betty Crocker Cornbread Mix and made six muffins)
½ cup margarine, melted
2 teaspoons dried sage
1 (10.75 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 egg, beaten
1 large onion, chopped
1 ½ teaspoons sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup milk

Preparations
Place squash in a pot fitted with a steamer basket over boiling water, and steam 10 minutes, or until tender.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease a medium baking dish.

In a bowl, mix the squash, cornbread, margarine, sage, cream of mushroom soup, egg, onion, sugar, salt and pepper, and milk.  Transfer to prepared baking dish.

Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned.







Tomatoes!!!

I can't wait to make a cucumber salad with these guys.

This actually is a red pepper.  I may excitement pee in my pants when this pepper turns red!




No comments:

Post a Comment