Saturday, September 1, 2012

Cream Cheese Tamale Dip and the Start of Football Season


 
The start of college football just makes me happy.  It signals that Fall is upon us and the weather will start to cool down and my crock pot will start to heat back up again.  It means Saturdays spent yelling at the television, drinking beer and eating massive amounts of cream cheese-based foods.  To kick off this Saturday’s games, I got a dip recipe from a high school friend (thanks, Will!!).  In junior high, he was actually in a band with my boyfriend (yes…you read that right, I had a boyfriend).  Apparently, he was in Memphis and visited The Cove Cocktail and Oyster Bar.  The kitchen had already closed, but the kitchen was kind enough to throw together this dip for his group.  There are a few things that are imperative with this recipe:  you must use Fritos Scoops and you must have a beer in your hand.  I used frozen tamales and all I could find were beef.  Will suggested that veggie green chili tamales would be the best.  I concur and I also think next time I will try to find chicken and green chili tamales.  However, the beef tamales were quite tasty.  Give this easy dip a try!
 
 
The Cove’s Late Night Tamale Dip
 
Ingredients
1 package cream cheese
6 to 8 frozen tamales (I steamed mine just a bit before using)
1 can Rotel
 
Preparation
Lay tamales in 8”x 8”pan (I used cooking spray first).  In a bowl, mix cream cheese and Rotel and the spread over tamales.  Cover with foil and bake at 450 degrees until bubbly.  Serve with Fritos Scoops.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment