Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Losing a Friend and Cream Cheese and Bourbon Glazed Doughnuts – WTF and WOW Recipe Wednesday




Before I get into the usual Wednesday WTF and recipe routine, I wanted to take some time to say goodbye to a friend who passed away last night.  We worked together for many, many years.  She was actually one of the first people to talk to me when I started my tenure at McWane Science Center.  The first thing she ever said to me was, “What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?”  I answered, “Mint chocolate chip.”  Her response was, “Oh hell yeah…we are going to get along just fine!”  And, she was right.  We had so many laughs together it is impossible to count.  I was her boss, but that hardly mattered because the important thing to me and the thing that really mattered was that she was my friend.   In fact, it was impossible to not be her friend.  Tiffany and I were there with her in the hospital when she received the devastating news that she had a brain tumor.   We were also with her the very next day when she said, “I’m going to fight this.”  And she did.  She bravely fought and inspired all the way to the end.  The last time I saw her we talked about where I was working doing after school enrichment.  She laughed her big, hearty and joyous laugh because that is where she went to elementary school.  She loved that I was there.  If she had been well enough, I would have had her come spend some time at the school.  The kids would have learned from her courage, but the truth is the kids will learn from her courage.  I will make sure they know all about her.  I have also talked to the principal about finding a way to set up a scholarship in her name for a child to attend that school for free.  I think it is what she would have wanted and I think it would make her happy to know that she continues to bring people together and make kids smile.  Thank you, Jenni for your many gifts – you’ll always live in my memories.

And now for the usual WTF and WOW Recipe Wednesday...

Source
Source


Cream Cheese and Bourbon Glazed Doughnuts

Ingredients
2 cups vegetable oil
1 can (16.3 oz) Pillsbury Grands Flaky Layers refrigerated biscuits
½ cup cream cheese whipped ready-to-spread frosting
1 tablespoon bourbon

Preparation
In a deep fat fryer or 2 quart heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium heat to 350 degrees.  Separate dough into 8 biscuits.  Using small round cutter, cut hole in center of each biscuit.

Gently place 2 or 3 biscuits in hot oil.  Fry on each side until golden brown.  Gently turn with tongs, fry until other side is also golden brown.  Place on cooling rack for 5 to 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir frosting and bourbon with spoon until smooth.  Dip one side of each doughnut into glaze.



No comments:

Post a Comment